Pages

Thursday, August 1, 2013

Vessels


But this thing commanded I them, saying, Obey my voice, and I will be your God, and ye shall be my people: and walk ye in all the ways that I have commanded you, that it may be well unto you.


     I stood in the entry-way of the Edgewood assisted living as I listened to the beautiful music performed by my sister, cousin, and a few friends Glancing over at the residence, I noticed one woman, who I later learned was named Mary, seemed to be crying. As I watched her carefully, I felt a nudge from the Lord. "You should go over to her." "Wait" I thought, "I need to make sure she really is crying first..." As she sat in her chair listening to the girls, her shoulders quivered as she delicately dabbed her eyes with a tissue. No doubt now, she was crying.  Even so, I hesitated. "I've never done something like that before-Walk up to a stranger just because they looked upset-and in the middle of the girls performance?" The nudge came again. "Just slip next to her, give her a hug and quietly ask if she's alright."

     I knew it was so ridiculous to be nervous, yet I questioned myself, considering all the awkward situations that could occur... Still, I knew it was the Lord tugging at my heart to approach this woman. I had been given this nudge before and only been blessed when I followed. "This shouldn't be a big deal." I thought.

 The girls continued to play their violins and I stood there-trying to decide if I would go over to Mary. I looked over at my Aunt, standing beside me. She too, had her eyes on Mary.

    "These folks are some of the sweetest, most approachable people. If I'm too scared to bring the light of Christ to them, then I would never tell anyone." I told myself. "Plus, I can't just ignore something God is telling me to do." I noticed my Aunt. She was about to go over there. "I should go." I thought. "I need to do this." I was ready. I would simply crouch down by her side, put my arm around her, and whisper, 'Are you okay?' " I looked around then back at Mary.  I sensed movement beside me. My Aunt was leaving her place and approaching Mary, who was still wiping the tears from her eyes. 

   I watched my Aunt get down on her knees, put her arm around Mary, and whisper in her ear. "That should have been me." I knew I shouldn't have hesitated.

  I felt the Lord was speaking to my heart.  If I don't follow His still, small voice, He will use another vessel for His glory. However, I will not be blessed for not following Him, nor receive the joy that come through obeying his voice. It is an honor to serve my King, but disregarding what He asks of me  because I'm "scared" is inexcusable and will only lead me further from Him. It's a mistake I pray I won't make again.

   Last night during family Bible study we talked about sanctification. The scripture we read went along with what I felt the Lord telling me.

"But in a great house there are not only vessels of gold and of silver, but also of wood and of earth; and some to honor, and some to dishonor.21 If a man therefore purge himself from these, he shall be a vessel unto honor, sanctified, and meet for the master's use, and prepared unto every good work."

On a side note:
 After the performance, I went over to Mary and spoke with her for a while. She said it was her birthday and she cried because it touched her that everyone came to bless her on her special day. I asked her if she knew the Lord personally; if she had ever asked Him to forgive her sins and come into her heart. She told me in her soft, feeble voice, "I pray to Him every night... Life is beautiful and I want to live a long time." Please pray for Mary, that the Lord does a work in her heart, and that she would come to the knowledge of her need for Christ to save her.

4 comments:

Alicia Willis said...

We speak with Mary frequently. She is a dear person. Just your being there was a comfort to her and everyone else. :) Thanks for this post. And feel free to come visit her with us anytime you want!!! :)

Maellen said...

Kelsey, the Lord will honor your desires. Yes, next time you must act when you hear His voice. That is a lesson I am STILL learning! But at the same time, you went to her later and spoke with her. I praise God you have such a tender heart!! I love you!

Sarah Elizabeth said...

This was a beautiful post, Kelsey!!! I don't know how many times I've resisted that small voice urging me to do something like that. It is so difficult to get out of our comfort zones to do the right thing. However, like you were saying, when we don't listen, we miss out on the blessing, even if the other person doesn't because another vessel stepped in. It is a very good reminder and one I want to frequently remember! :) Thank you for sharing this! :)

Prairie Momma said...

Kelsey, that was such a beautiful post because of your honest heart. We ALL fail at one time or another or another or another, and being honest and transparent about those failings is the hardest thing to do. I know so many that put on such an air about "having it all together" and they don't allow GOD to be honored and glorified. The simple fact that you recognized it was GOD speaking to you; you chose to disregard the voice; HE spoke again; you still ignored; you saw the reward of listening AND obeying from your aunt; and then you yourself answered that voice and obeyed, albeit, not at the first prompting. You show us that GOD does want first time obedience, but HE also wants to know that our hearts will turn to HIM - period. You did that and were rewarded. I cried as I read this because I wish I had been a young 20 year old learning that lesson instead of waiting so much longer. What a testimony that GOD isn't a "3 strikes and you're out" Father, but a Father who will continue to gently nudge us along.