Pages

Thursday, April 1, 2010

Peace Challenge















Hello All! I would wish you a Happy April Fools Day, but I don't think it's a very good Holiday to celebrate, so instead I'll wish you a Happy Resurrection Week. Since today (so many years ago) was the day that Jesus had Passover with his disciples, this Thursday is sometimes referred to as "Holy Thursday".

Praise God for his Resurrection; Death has been defeated!




This past month, I had the privilege of joining Jenna over at Feminine Farmgirl  along with about 14 other girls, in a "Peace Challenge". (If you'd like to read more about it click here.)   

Philippians 4:6-7 (KJV)


Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God.
And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

I think the biggest way I have been able to personally apply peace in my life is through my prayer life. When I am lacking the spirit of peace, I just try to trust in the Lord that he will work it out. Prayer is a great way to recieve peace, as well as through God's word.
 If you think about it, peace also corresponds with trust. We as humans tend to worry a lot over silly things; or maybe it's somthing big, but we can't do anything about it. Worrying isn't going to help our problem. I have to convince myself of this often when I am fretting over things I cannot control. I am so thankful that we have an awsome God who is in control of everything we do. 
 I am currently reading through a book titled: "Young Lady's Guide to the Harmonious Development of Christian Character by Harvey Newcome."  (Highly reccomended by-the-way. Just click on the book title to find out more about it)
 The chapter I'm going through speaks of the different fruit's of the spirit and how to apply them to daily life. One of the fruits mentioned of course is, Peace. This section was titled "Peace of Mind", which I think is very appropriate. Peace isn't this vague feeling of contentedness, it is something that needs to be deeper than just "a feeling", because it's also a heart issue.  Here is a little bit of what Harvey Newcome says on peace:

"...The gosple is called the 'way of peace,' and Christ the 'Prince of peace.' Jesus, in his parting interview with his beloved disciples, says, 'Peace I leave with you; my peace I give unto you.'...This gracious work of the Holy Spirit does not stop with these exercises of the mind. It must be carried out in our intercourse with others, and our feelings towards them. Whatever is in our hearts will manifest itself in our conduct. If we exercise a morose, sour, and jealous disposition; if we indulge a censorious spirit, not easily overlooking with the slightest offence; if we indulge in petty strife and backbiting,-surely the peace of God does not rule in our hearts."

Some good things to think about, don't you think? I want to be known for having a quiet and peaceful spirit, not someone who worries all the time, who struggles with faith, and who has a troubled spirit. I pray God gives me the spirit of peace, and that what he does through me will be a witness to others. It's hard to be a light for Christ when you don't seem to trust him at all. I believe this is what we show when we lack the character trait of peace.

 I will close with a quote by Thomas Watson:
To be of a peaceable spirit brings peace along with it.


Grace and Peace be with you all!

Kelsey

4 comments:

Maellen said...

Excellent post, Kelsey. So often, we has women, needlessly worry over so many things. I have a friend who always brings me back to reality. If I tell her I lost sleep over something, she will ask me, "And did that fix the problem?" Of course the answer is always, "NO". Actually, losing sleep and worrying about something tends to make it worse! We can't handle things so well when we are tired! God is SOOOOO good to give us HIS peace and to carry our burdens!!! I love Him so much! Thanks, Kels! I love you!
Aunt Maellen

Jenna said...

Dear Kelsey,
You're too good and on time! I'll have the link up today (hopefully):)

Blessings,
Jenna

~ McKenzie Elizabeth~ said...

Hello Kelsey!
Thank you for commenting today;)
No, your rooster is not crazy!! We have had several roosters over the last couple of years, and they all crowed around the clock. Thankfully, they go up at night in a pen that is far enough from our house that we do not hear him:) I do enjoy hearing him during the day though!:)


May you have a blessed Easter Sunday!

~McKenzie E.~

Frannie Halbert said...

I'm new to your blog, but this post was a blessing and encouragement! God bless!
Frannie